Located on the seafront of Rhyl, the Pavilion Theatre is managed by Denbighshire County Council. The 1,031 seat theatre was designed to accommodate a variety of productions from all genres. The Pavilion has 20 permanent and 18 casual members of staff, and a core team of some 25 volunteers.
The Pavilion programmes a broad range of activities – recent productions have included Mrs Brown’s Boys, Chicago, Little Mix, Olly Murs and John Bishop to name but a few. Besides large scale productions, the Pavilion Theatre is committed to facilitating theatre and dance in the community as well as school productions.
The Pavilion Theatre’s mission statement reads, “The Pavilion Theatre believes that the arts are for everyone to experience and enjoy, and will positively encourage access to those experiences for all members of the community within the allocated budget”.
A Brief Contextual History
The current Pavilion Theatre is in fact the third Pavilion in Rhyl. The first Pavilion was sited at the promenade end of Rhyl Pier and seated over 3,000. Built in 1891, it was destroyed by fire in 1901.
The second Pavilion was built in 1908 at a cost of £16,500 and seated just over 1,000. It did a great service to Rhyl in playing host to international artists, and presenting a vast number of productions and significant community events. When, in 1974, the Pavilion was demolished it was compared by everyone in the town to “losing a dear friend”.
The current Pavilion was opened in 1991 and fulfilled a commitment made by the then Borough Council seventeen years earlier.
Customer focus is at the heart of the Pavilion’s operation. It’s financial and sociological value to the community was highlighted in 2008 after an independent report was commissioned by Professor Dominic Shellard of Sheffield University.
The report demonstrated that the seafront venue helps generate more than £4million each year for the local economy and that its emphasis on engagement with its local community produces a significant economic and social impact for the town of Rhyl, the North Wales coast and Wales as a whole.